Friday, June 3, 2016

[Review] Water's Wrath (Air Awakens #4) by Elise Kova

Water's Wrath by Elise Kova
Series: Air Awakens #4
Version: E-book
Rating: 5 stars
Published: April 26th 2016

Goodreads Synopsis:
Librarian turned sorcerer. Sorcerer turned hero. Hero turned puppet.
The Solaris Empire found victory in the North and, at the cost of her heart and her innocence, Vhalla Yarl has earned her freedom. But the true fight is only beginning as the secret forces that have been lurking in the shadows, tugging at the strings of Vhalla's fate, finally come to light. Nowhere is safe, and Vhalla must tread carefully or else she'll fall into the waiting arms of her greatest foe. Or former lover.

This book should alternatively be titled: Vhalla is done with everyone's shit. She's gotten so much crap from everyone hating on her for being a Windwalker. They either want to kill her, chain her, arrest her - poor Vhalla. No wonder every time someone opens their mouth against her, she is now just like this:
Gurl is done
"I fought for your Empire, and when the Emperor saw fit to grant me my freedom for my service, others sought to chain me." Vhalla jerked her head in the direction of the Western senator. "Yes!" she screamed. "Yes, I killed those men at the Crossroads because they sought the tainted powers within the Crystal Caverns!"
Water's Wrath was definitely... a tumultuous book. SO MUCH HAPPENED IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. It was fast paced and this one took me - two days? I was supposed to be studying for a final too. Everyone is finally showing their true colors and not everyone is Vhalla's friend. I'd say Air Awakens and Water's Wrath tie for my favorites of the series, because the people on Vhalla's side end up being so strong and cunning and lovable (weird word to end this, huh?)


Once again, I'll sum up my feelings.

1. Vhalla will never settle.
I love that about her. At this point, she knows what she wants, and even though she wants Aldrik, she isn't going to be the "other woman". You either have her or you don't, Aldrik. Make up your mind.
"I love you, Aldrik, and I always will." He leaned forward, and Vhalla stopped his progress with two palms, flat on his chest. "I love you, I respect you... and I respect myself. And, because of that, I will not become the other woman. I will not let you take me when you are engaged to another."
2. Baldair my baby.
I can't say anything without spoiling it. Baldair, I offer my tears in a bottle. I end up weeping like a baby on the train because of you.

3.  Elecia is queen (I wrote this exact statement in my underlines of this book)
Elise writes such strong women characters. I love them all. But Elecia has this elegant strength about her. She is poised, but can be so deadly. She's damn protective of her family, too.
"First, it was Baldair, and I couldn't, I wasn't fast enough to get there." Elecia balled a fist in the blankets. Then I thought I lost the man who has been like my brother. I shouldn't forgive you!" 
 4. Jax is still Jax
Can I keep you? You're so great. He's the comedy in an otherwise serious novel. Never change.
"My name." His hand cupped her cheek boldly. "Fair lady is-"
"Jax!" Fritz snapped, carrying in a load of lumber from the yard. "Away from my sister. 
5. Fritz is the perfect best friend
Taking care of Vhalla when she's most vulnerable, being with her always even though she doesn't tell him everything but she definitely should... He fills in Larel's role as her caretaker, almost.

Plotwise, forget Avatar the Last Airbender. I was getting serious Legend of Korra season one vibes. That ending. Just. Dang. No words.

I absolutely can't wait for Crystal Crowned. But at the same time, I'll be sad that it is over. These characters are amazing. This story is amazing. I hope there's more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment